Substitute Teaching Opportunities
Substitute teachers serve a vital role in maintaining classroom instruction during a regular teacher’s absence. DC Public Schools is actively seeking substitute teachers who demonstrate:
- Commitment to student learning
- Subject area knowledge
- Passion for working with children
Substitute teaching offers an opportunity to impact students in one of the most dynamic urban school districts in the country while maintaining schedule and location flexibility.
DCPS Substitute Employment Application
The substitute application for School Year 2014-15 is now closed. We will reopen the application for next school year on June 15, 2015.
We are excited to offer some of the most competitive pay in the region. Substitute teachers at DCPS are paid either $60 for a half-day or $120 for a full-day, regardless of background, work history, or length of assignment.
Full day substitute teaching jobs are from 8am to 3:30pm. While many jobs are daily, some may extend for several days or weeks.
Substitutes have the option of receiving daily job offers from schools all throughout the district, or they may work only at schools convenient to them. For a list of all our schools, please visit our school profiles page.
In order to be considered for the position, candidates must hold a valid Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution. Candidates must also apply for a Substitute License from The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE). All licensure must be issued by OSSE. We regret that we cannot accept out-of-state licensure.
Upon reviewing your application, you may be invited to interview with us. Our group interview is an integral part of the application process. We want to meet you in person, and we want to see what you can do. Roughly 60% of our applicants are hired.
Please follow these steps, in order:
- Apply. Go to http://dcps.force.com to apply for the position of Substitute Teacher with DC Public Schools. Applicants should be careful to answer each and every question, even if it does not seem applicable. A confirmation email will be sent when the application has been submitted.
- HR Review. After the application is submitted, the Office of Human Resources will review the application and resume, and we will decide whether to invite the applicant to a group interview. The applicant will receive an email notification either way, with all the pertinent information.
- Interview. We will conduct the interview, which includes a 5-minute mock lesson, and decide whether to hire the applicant. He or she will be notified via email within one week. Our interview can be waived if we receive a written recommendation from a current DCPS principal.
- Fingerprinting. At the interview, we fingerprint all candidates, even if they have been printed by another agency (such as a police station). DCPS-specific fingerprinting lasts two years.
- TB and Drug Testing. If we intend to hire the candidate, we will send a list of next steps, which includes TB testing, document collection, and drug testing. The drug testing must be completed with our vendor within two weeks. The drug test remains valid for 6 weeks, and the TB test remains valid for one year.
- Licensure. Please visit OSSE’s website for instructions: The Office of the State Superintendent of Education. The Substitute License is the easiest to get, as it only requires a bachelor’s degree, but we can also accept most other types of Educator’s Licenses from OSSE. Note:
a. Please apply in person at 810 First Street NE in order to receive a receipt.
b. OSSE takes 6-10 weeks to process licensure applications.
c. We are happy to accept the receipt of submittal in lieu of the full license, but only for Substitute Teacher
licenses. The receipt also must be accompanied by transcripts, to ensure that the candidate holds a
- Orientation. Once the candidate has completed the list of next steps, he/she may sign up to attend an orientation session. The candidate may not attend orientation without all documentation, including licensure, a TB test, a drug test, and fingerprinting results. We will conduct the orientation session, ensure that the candidate signs all the HR paperwork, and ensure that the candidate has passed all background checks.
- Offer Letter. We will issue an official offer of employment with DC Public Schools, and the candidate can begin working after s/he signs and accepts this offer letter.
- SmartFind Express. After signing the offer letter, the new hire will appear in SmartFind Express (dcps.eschoolsolutions.com). No substitute may work in any school if their name does not appear in SmartFind Express. All jobs must be entered before the substitute begins work each day.
If you have any questions about Substitute Teaching with DC Public Schools, please feel free to email us at email@example.com or call us at (202) 442-4090.
Notice of Drug Testing
This position is a safety-sensitive position. All safety-sensitive positions are subject to mandatory pre-employment drug testing in accordance with the Child and Youth, Safety and Health Omnibus Act of 2004. If you are tentatively selected for this position, you will be required to submit to testing for illegal drug use prior to employment, and your employment shall be contingent upon negative test results. If you are appointed into this position, you shall be subject to mandatory random drug and alcohol testing throughout your employment.