AFTERSCHOOL PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
What do afterschool programs offer?
DC Public Schools (DCPS) afterschool programs allow students to participate in academic and extracurricular enrichment activities and to develop new hobbies and skills. DCPS teachers, paraprofessionals, and community-based organizations provide a variety of unique programing options to students.
Participation in high-quality afterschool programming has been proven to improve school attendance, academic achievement, graduation rates, and attitudes toward learning. Students attending two and a half hours of afterschool programs each day gain the equivalent of nearly two months of learning time.
What are the afterschool program hours?
The afterschool program starts at the end of the school day and ends at 6:00 p.m. each full school day (unless otherwise noted by your school).
What grades can participate?
Programs serve students in PK3 through grade 5 at elementary schools and PK3 through grade 8 at education campuses.
Is food provided?
Supper/snack is provided to all students free of charge.
Is there a fee?
Most students take part in the afterschool program free of charge. At a few sites, families may be asked to pay a co-payment with a maximum fee of $10.00 per day. This will be based on family income and family size.
How do I register my student?
- Afterschool enrollment for all families will take place online starting May 26 at http://dcps.dc.gov/DCPS/asp. Families who visit the online enrollment system can expect to have a customized experience based on your child and the school he/she is attending. Click here for more specific instructions on how to do the online enrollment.
- You must access the online enrollment system on a computer, not a phone or mobile device. If you lack access to a computer, computers will be available at your school for use during the enrollment period from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. DC Public Libraries also have computers available for public use. Hours and locations can be found at http://dclibrary.org/hours-locations.
- Online afterschool enrollment will start May 26 and close on August 19. Seats will be filled on a first-come first-served basis. Seats are limited, so please enroll early.
- If any open seats exist after August 19, families must enroll in person with afterschool staff at their child’s school.
- The afterschool enrollment process has been simplified so that most families will not need to submit more documents after completing the online enrollment form. Based on your student’s school and student data on file, some families will be notified through the online enrollment process that they need to bring additional documentation to their child’s school. If your family needs to bring in documentation, those items will be due by Wednesday, August 19 or sooner to hold your student’s seat. Click here to see a list of acceptable documents.
- You must have submitted your school year 2015-16 enrollment forms for the regular school day before you can enroll in the afterschool program. For more information about 2015-16 school enrollment, visit http://dcps.dc.gov/DCPS/Learn+About+Schools/Enroll+in+Our+Schools.
- If you are new to DCPS it can take up to two business days from the time you enroll at the school for your child’s registration to carry over to the afterschool database. Please allow two days before you try to register for afterschool.
- In order for any student to be enrolled in an afterschool program next year all outstanding 2014-15 afterschool co-payment balances must be paid in full.
What do I do if I have trouble enrolling?
Contact your school or the Office of Out of School Time Programs at 202-442-5002 to ask for assistance.
Parent Letter on Afterschool Enrollment.