Is My Child on Track to Graduate? 

Bookmark and Share

The transition process should start around the age of 15, in part to help the student, parent and the rest of the IEP team discuss whether the student is on track to graduate. 

A high school diploma, or GED equivalent, is the minimum education required for many jobs or college application processes.

It is required that the IEP team documents in writing whether your child is planning to receive:

  • DCPS diploma

  • Certificate of IEP – This certificate is for special education students who have completed their IEP goals but have not completed the requirements for a high school diploma. Students, families, special education coordinators, counselors and administrators must decide and approve that this is the best course of action for a student to depart high school without a diploma.

The graduation decision may be changed at any time to match a student’s progress. The IEP team makes every effort to provide students with the opportunity to earn a regular DCPS diploma.

To graduate from high school, a student must complete all necessary requirements for graduation, including receiving passing grades on required coursework, having a good attendance record, completing community service hours and participating in any final testing.

For a detailed list of requirements, visit Graduation Requirements.

If a child attends a non-public school and is planning on graduating with a high school diploma, he or she must meet DCPS graduation requirements, not the non-public school’s requirements.

If your child attends a non-public school, please contact your child’s progress monitor to discuss whether he or she is on track to graduate. If you do not know how to contact your child’s progress monitor, contact the Office of Special Education at (202) 442-4800.

Inside DCPS Highlights.


DC.Gov Home Page              Best Of The Web Award

© 2012 District of Columbia Public Schools, 1200 First Street, NE, Washington, DC 20002, (202) 442-5885