Engaging DCPS Families and the Community
The Office of Family and Public Engagement (OFPE)
In April 2012, based on feedback received during the Hopes and Dreams campaign, DCPS announced its five-year strategic plan, A Capital Commitment, which provides a roadmap for building DCPS into a high quality, vibrant school district that earns the confidence of our community. The plan defines an overarching purpose as well as five goals that will guide DCPS’ work through 2017.
Our stakeholder commitments reflect our promises to the community and underscore our dedication to improving the quality of education in the District.
We deeply value the important role that parents and the community play in DC Public Schools. One of Chancellor Henderson’s highest priorities is to ensure that we become more effective at engaging our families as partners in schools.
Family and Public Engagement: Where we're going
Goal: Schools partner with families to support student achievement.
- Set standards for what effective parent engagement looks like.
- Introduce tools and resources to support principals and teachers implement effective engagement strategies.
- Align and integrate this work with IMPACT and PD for teachers and principals.
- Train parent leaders on effective strategies for engaging more parents.
- Partner with community groups to provide families with the skills and training to better partner in their child’s learning.
Goal: Principals, parents, and the community work in partnership achieving school success.
Our standard is schools that:
- Create a welcoming and engaging climate with strong relationships and communications between families and school staff.
- Partner with families to support student achievement.
- Invest families and community in school success.
Our work is to support:
- Schools create and implement high-impact family engagement strategies that drive student achievement and school improvement.
- Schools effectively engage the school community in school planning, budgeting, and plan implementation.
- Schools create welcoming and inviting schools where all people feel welcome.
- School leadership and parent and community leaders effectively partner and communicate.
- Support schools effectively leverage community partnerships to enhance students learning and experiences.
- Parent leaders and LSAT members to effectively contribute to school success
Goal: Educate parents and community on important changes and reforms and ensure their voices are heard on Ward and District-level decision making.
- Consistently communicate DCPS priorities and information with DCPS stakeholders in ways that work for them.
- Engage the community in Ward-based planning processes, starting in Ward 5 and Ward 8.
- Engage the community in the strategic planning for the District.
- Educate the community about DCPS priorities and changes.
- Cultivate meaningful partnerships between our schools and community and business groups.
We look to working with you and we welcome your feedback and questions.
Phone: (202) 719-6613