Thank you for your interest in conducting research in DC Public Schools! On this page you can download a document describing the requirements for a research proposal. For more on the DCPS research process and our current schedule of proposal reviews, visit dcps.dc.gov/page/conduct-research-or-obtain-confidential-data. For existing downloadable data sets, visit dcps.dc.gov/service/dcps-downloadable-data-sets.
For a guide to submitting a research proposal in DCPS, download the DCPS Process and Requirements to Conduct Research or Obtain Confidential Data below. This document governs requests to conduct research in DCPS or obtain data that:
- Exist, must be constructed based on existing data, or do not exist and must be collected.
- Are disaggregate (including student- and other individual-level data) or aggregate where identification is possible explicitly or implicitly (e.g., school-level data on subgroups smaller than 10 individuals).
Please use the attached cover sheet for your proposal.
We accept the following types of proposal for review. Note that we do NOT accept proposals from graduate students UNLESS they are current DCPS employees.
- Proposals for research activities originating within DCPS offices, departments, divisions, and other units, transmitted through their central office administrative channels.
- Responses to DCPS requests for proposals for external audits and research.
- Unsolicited research proposals from individuals (non-students) or organizations independent of DCPS that support DCPS’ strategic priorities.