The DCPS budget cycle is a year-round process and one that provides opportunities for stakeholders across our community — including parents, students, and principals, teachers and staff — to be engaged in the development of their school budget.
Fiscal Year 2022 (FY22) Budget Engagement
For Fiscal Year 2022, which will take effect in School Year 2021-2022, we are taking a step back to holistically evaluate our budget model to determine how we can best engage in transparent, equitable, and financially sustainable budgeting that empowers principals to use resources in a more flexible manner to improve student outcomes. Engagement with our stakeholders as well as with school budget experts will be critical in this process, so that we ensure that our budgets meet the needs of the students and families our schools serve as well as the educators and school leaders leading this work every day.
As we think about developing a budget model, there are three key priorities we are solving for:
- Equity: Is the current budget structure yielding the results in student outcomes that we want? What flexibilities exist so leaders can make the best decisions for all students?
- Financial Sustainability: How do we create a model that is financially sustainable, given the reality of rising costs?
- Transparency: How do we help our community understand how our funds are allocated?
We are approaching the evaluation of our budget model in Fiscal Year 2022 with a three-phased approach that begins this fall:
- Phase One – Understand: We are conducting a data analysis deep dive into our current funding process. We want our path forward to be informed by our historical context and national best practices for urban school districts, so that we can learn from both what has worked and what has not to chart a path forward.
- Phase Two – Design: This winter and spring, we will focus on comprehensive engagement. This stage will provide our stakeholders – including school leaders, school staff, families, and community members – an opportunity to share their priorities about how DCPS allocates its funds.
- Phase Three – Build: After extensive engagement, DCPS will finalize a budget model and educate key individuals involved in the budget process, including school leaders and LSAT members, on how the new budget model will shape their work going forward. DCPS will finalize a budget model in spring 2020 in preparation for implementing this budget model for Fiscal Year 2022.
FY22 Budget Engagement Timeline:
August 8 - September 4, 2020 - Public Input Online Budget Engagement
September 14 Public Town Hall PowerPoint Decks [PDF]
September 14 Public Town Hall Recorded Sessions
- FY22 Budget Engagement Virtual Town Hall Recording (English)
- FY22 Budget Engagement Virtual Town Hall Recording (Spanish)
Contact us at [email protected] or (202) 431-2879.
For more information on the DCPS budget and how to get involved, please review the information below:
- Visit our DCPS Data Center.
- Share feedback with your Local School Advisory Team (LSAT).
- Learn more about how school budgets are determined by watching our video on YouTube.
- Download the DCPS Pocket Budget Guide[PDF]