The Adopt-a-School Program is a DCPS initiative launched in 2015 by the School Partnerships Division (SPD) in the Office of Family and Public Engagement. This program provides a structured pathway for partnership between DCPS schools and our community of supporters. This program is intended for corporate and community organizations interested in building relationships with schools that support student success for a minimum of one academic year. During this collaboration, partners and schools will work together to determine how to best connect partner resources and interests with the school’s unique needs. This relationship is a joint effort led by the school and partner, and supported by the SPD.
To learn more about the program, see a full list of existing partnerships and review key resources, visit www.dcpsadoptaschool.org
- Designate 2 people from the school and partner to serve as the Program Liaison to lead efforts throughout the year.
- Jointly submit a year-long partnership plan.
- The partner supports or hosts at least 3 school-based activities.
- The partner contributes at least one donation to support the school community.
- The school and partner attend two district-wide meetings. The Adopt-a-School Launch Kickoff Event (July 31st) and End of Year Celebration (TBD).
Participating schools and partners are matched on an annual basis and receive supports throughout the school year to keep the relationship on track. Interested schools and partners are required to complete an application process which is then used to match partnerships based on shared interests and goals. Once matched, schools and partners are expected to work together to complete the program requirements outlined below.
- Application Period: May-July
- Partnership Finalized: mid-July
- Partnership Kickoff Event: end of July
- Submit you Partnership Plan: early- August
- Begin your activities/donations: August – December
- Complete your activities/donations: January – June
- Mid-Year Check-in: mid- January through mid-February
- End of the Year Celebration: June
The entire school community, in particular the students, gain from the additional resources and experience offered by corporate and community partners. Partners can have a direct impact on the school community and have an opportunity to form quality relationships with one school. Engagement activities between the school and partner are tailored toward the school and partner's needs, and go beyond a one-time, transactional experience.
Adopt-a-School Partner Activities
There are endless ways for partners to support students and schools. We strongly encourage partners start with their strengths and organizational philanthropic priorities, and then work collaboratively with the school to develop a shared vision grounded in serving students and the school community.
Below is a list of possible activities:
- Serve as judge for fairs and competitions
- Support school events including career fairs, field days or teacher appreciation week
- Donate school supplies and equipment
- Volunteer for school beautification projects
For ideas on activities and/or donation efforts, check out the Sample Activities[PDF] on the resource page of our DCPS Adopt-a-School website.
Interested schools and partners must complete an application by the designated deadline and the School Partnerships Division will contact you regarding next steps. Applications submitted after July 2018 will be reviewed and matched again in the 2019-2020 school year.
To read more about the Adopt-a-School Program and its impact to date, visit the DCPS Adopt-a-School website.
For additional support, please contact [email protected]
Learn more about ways you can support DC Public Schools- either as an individual volunteer, corporate or community organization: