Text Resize

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

DCPS Off-boarding (Leaving DCPS)

Welcome to the DC Public Schools Off-Boarding Homepage. We understand that separating from any job is an important decision. We are here to provide information to ensure that your transition out of the DC Public School system is a seamless process. 

Please return all of your belongings (badge, laptop, mobile phone, keys, etc…) to your direct supervisor. Information regarding email, PeopleSoft, last pay check date, benefits, retirement, address changes and annual/sick leave balances can be found in our 2015 – 2016 Off-Boarding Guides below.

Submitting Your Resignation/Retirement

Submission of your resignation notice through the Resignation/Retirement Database serves as formal notification of your resignation, and a letter is not required. Once the resignation notice has been submitted through the database, your supervisor will be notified of this separation intent. We recommend notifying your supervisor prior to the submission of your resignation online. Please submit your DCPS Resignation and Retirement Application.

Submitting Your Retirement

If you have not done so already, please submit a retirement request via the DCPS Resignation and Retirement Application. Following receipt of this online application, the Retirement team will determine your eligibility and calculate your annuity (if applicable). To view eligibility requirements and plan types, please visit the Retirement FAQs.

Email:  [email protected]
Fax:  (202) 535-2112
Mail:  DC Public Schools
Human Resources – Retirement
1200 First Street NE, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20002

How can I continue access to PeopleSoft and my dc.gov email address?

Your access to all DCPS technology systems will be de-provisioned within three (3) business days of your effective separation date. This includes access to your dc.gov email address and PeopleSoft. Once your account(s) are de- provisioned, we will not be able to restore access. Therefore, if you intend to update your direct deposit, tax withholdings, or other information in PeopleSoft, you should do so immediately.

How can I submit a change of address?

If you are planning to move, you should immediately change your address in PeopleSoft. The last address on file (in PeopleSoft) is where we will send your W-2 form at the end of January for tax purposes. If you move at a later date, please notify HR as soon as possible so that we can update your address. You will need to provide proof of the new address at that time. Please contact HR Answers (see contact information above) if you have any questions about changing your address.

How can I continue my health benefits?

If you were enrolled in a health insurance plan, your insurance coverage will continue at no cost to you for thirty-one (31) days after your separation date. If you would like to continue your health benefits coverage, complete the Temporary Continuation of Coverage and submit to the DCPS Benefits Unit (see information below) before your health benefits coverage terminates. NOTE: Health benefits insurance rates are subject to change. You may select any of the listed plan providers for enrollment in TCC. Submit Temporary Continuation of Coverage (TCC) application to DCPS Office of Human Resources:

Fax:   (202)442-5317
Email[email protected]
Mail: DC Public Schools
Human Resources – Benefits
1200 First Street NE, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20002

How can I obtain my sick and/or annual leave balance?

  • Sick Leave:  Sick Leave does not have a cash value and is therefore, non-compensable. If you choose to return to DCPS or DC Government within three (3) calendar years of your separation date, your sick leave balance may be restored.
  • Annual Leave:  If an annual leave balance is remaining (if applicable), it will be paid to you within 3-4 pay periods after your resignation is processed by the Human Resources. It will be sent through the same process as your previous checks (i.e. direct deposit).

Note: If you are joining another DC Government agency, your new agency can transfer your unused leave balance(s) to your new position.

How can I obtain a copy of my Personnel Action Form (SF-50)?

Within thirty (30) days following your resignation, your Personnel Action Form (also called a Form 50) will be sent to you via postal mail. Please keep it with your records as it could be used to make employment, pay, and qualifications decisions about you in the future. You will also need this form if you plan to withdraw or rollover your retirement balance(s).


Return to Employee Services Homepage