The ability to communicate in multiple languages is critical for effective participation in the political, social, and economic arenas of today’s globalized world. To honor the multilingualism of many DCPS students, we offer the DCPS Seal of Biliteracy. By awarding this seal to those who meet its rigorous requirements, DCPS recognizes the commitment of students who persevere in language education to achieve high levels of proficiency and highlights the rich linguistic and cultural expertise of its many international and immigrant students.
Qualifying for the DCPS Seal of Biliteracy
To be eligible for the DCPS Seal of Biliteracy, students must demonstrate their proficiency in English and a language other than English. Students can automatically qualify for the Seal of Biliteracy by taking exams that are tracked in the DCPS data system, but an application is available for students who take exams on their own or would like to request help scheduling a language exam.
Qualifying English Language Assessments
Qualifying World Language Assessments
|Request for Test Required (Submit Via Seal of Bilteracy Application)*|
Automatic Qualification for the Seal of Biliteracy
Some students will qualify automatically for the DCPS Seal of Biliteracy. These students will have demonstrated their proficiency by means of an assessment that is tracked in the DCPS data system. If you qualify for the DCPS Seal of Biliteracy in BOTH languages with a DCPS-tracked exam, you do not need to apply for the Seal. You will be notified by the Seal of Biliteracy Coordinator or your school counselor if you have been awarded.
Applying for the Seal of Biliteracy
Multilingual students who wish to demonstrate their proficiency by means of assessment(s) not tracked by DCPS, MUST APPLY/SUBMIT A REQUEST FOR ASSESSMENT for the DCPS Seal of Biliteracy.
Steps to apply for students who have already taken a language proficiency exam outside of DCPS
- Complete and submit the online application.
- Scan/email score report and email to Seal of Biliteracy Coordinator.
- Seal of Biliteracy Coordinator will notify you of award, if eligible.
Steps to apply for students who want to request a language proficiency exam
- Complete online application, indicating that you need to schedule a proficiency exam
Request for exam MUST be submitted by April 1 of each school year.
- Seal of Biliteracy Point of Contact will follow up to schedule an exam.
- Once score report is received, Seal of Biliteracy Coordinator will notify you of award, if eligible.
The DCPS Seal of Biliteracy with Distinction
At DCPS, we recognize that truly effective communication is not just about knowing the linguistic structures of a language. Understanding the culture in which a language is spoken is just as important. Students who go above and beyond the requirements of the Seal of Biliteracy by participating in a cultural competency activity are awarded the DCPS Seal of Biliteracy with Distinction.
To be considered for the DCPS Seal of Biliteracy with Distinction, please submit verification of one of the following cultural competency activities (on official agency letterhead) to [email protected]:
- Twenty-five hours of community service in target language
- Participation in recognized service learning summer activity in target language
- Participation in school-sponsored language-focused travel of at least one week in target language
- Students who participated in a DCPS Study Abroad Trip, letters of verification can be requested here. Verifications take 2-3 weeks to be processed.
- Completion of 2-week internship in target language
- Demonstrated proficiency in two or more languages in addition to English.
Candidacy for the DCPS Seal of Biliteracy
Students who will receive assessment results after graduation will be considered “Candidates” for the Seal of Biliteracy until scores are confirmed. Students must email [email protected] upon receipt of qualifying assessment scores. Once award status is confirmed, award materials will be mailed to an address of the student’s request.
Students who earn the DCPS Seal of Biliteracy will receive an official DCPS Seal of Biliteracy on their diploma (silver for the standard Seal award, gold for Seal with distinction), an official Seal of Biliteracy honor cord and an official district issued certificate.
For SY 20-21, requests for testing must be submitted by April 1, 2021. All other application materials (including cultural competency verifications) must be submitted by May 1, 2021. Application will close at midnight on May 1, 2021.
For questions or for more information please contact [email protected].