Open Government Material
The District is committed to a transparent, open form of government. District agency websites are required to make certain records available online to the public, if those records exist. In cases where these records exist but are not yet available online, agencies are working to provide them as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact the agency’s FOIA Officer.
- Open Government Report
- Public Employee Salary Information (Please note that this is the complete listing of District employees. Agency designation is located in column two.)
- DCPS Budget Information
- Awarded Contracts
- DCPS Organizational Chart
- DCPS Strategic Plan
- Submit Feedback Using Grade DC
- District-wide and Annual Agency FOIA Reports
- Notice of Non-Discrimination
- Parents Right to Know Guide
- DCPS Policies
- P-Card Transactions
- Procurements and Payments
- DCPS Archived Budgets and District-wide Budget Information
- Proactive Disclosure
Frequently Requested Public Records
- DCPS Food Service Contract No. GAGA-2012-C-0057A
- Chancellor Antwan Wilson’s Employment Contract
- Former Chancellor Kaya Henderson's Employment Contract
- Collective Bargaining Agreement between the Washington Teachers’ Union (WTU) and the District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS)
Notices of Proposed Rulemaking
Notices of Final Rulemaking
District-wide and Annual Agency FOIA Reports
- FY 17 DCPS Annual FOIA Report
- FY 16 DCPS Annual FOIA Report
- FY 14 DCPS Annual FOIA Report
- FY 13 DCPS Annual FOIA Report
The District of Columbia Freedom of Information Act, or FOIA, DC Code §§ 2-531-539, states that any person has the right to request access to records. All public bodies of the District government are required to disclose public records, except for those records, or portions of records, that are protected from disclosure by the exemptions found at DC Code § 2-534.
A FOIA request may be made for any public record. This does not mean, however, that the public body will disclose every record sought. Statutory exemptions authorize the withholding of certain public records. When the public body does withhold records or portions of records, it must specify which exemption of the FOIA permits the withholding. FOIA does not require agencies to do research, to analyze data, to answer written questions, or to create records in order to respond to a request. FOIA only requires the agency to make a reasonable effort to locate already existing records.
Education Records and personally identifiable student information are exempt from release through FOIA. If you are a parent/guardian seeking education records for your child or an adult student seeking your own records, please reach out directly to your school. If you are a former student or third party seeking diplomas or transcripts from any DCPS school, or education records from a closed DCPS school, please refer to the following link for information on submitting your request: dcps.dc.gov/service/request-transcripts-and-diplomas. Please be aware that all third parties must have a legally sufficient authorization signed by a parent/guardian or adult student in order to receive that student’s education records.
The Office of the General Counsel is responsible for:
- Acting as the principal contact point within the DC Public Schools for advice and policy guidance on matters pertaining to the administration of FOIA
- Handling all requests professionally and expeditiously
If you cannot find the information you are looking for here or elsewhere on DC.Gov you can submit a FOIA request online via the DC government Public FOIA Portal.
FOIA requests must be in writing. When submitting a written request, please prominently mark the envelope or fax as a "FOIA Request." Requests may also be submitted by mail, fax, or email. However, please note that FOIA requests submitted online will be easier to track and process.
To understand the process before making a request, please see foia.dc.gov.
FOIA Fee Schedule
The FOIA Officer is the principal contact point within DC Public Schools for advice and policy guidance on matters pertaining to the administration of the FOIA. All requests are handled professionally and expeditiously. DC Public Schools FOIA Officer’s information is listed below.
Name of Agency's FOIA Officer: Eboni J. Govan
Address of Agency: 1200 First Street, NE, 10th Floor, Washington, DC 20002
Email: [email protected]
Phone Number: (202) 442-5000