Text Resize

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Student/Parent/Visitor Grievance Process

The Grievance Process was developed to resolve matters when a student, parent or visitor feels that their rights have been violated, they have been discriminated against or they're having trouble solving a problem in the local school. It was established to ensure students, parents and visitors rights are protected and there is a safe way to notify the agency of any concerns.

The first step to take if you feel you’ve been aggrieved is to speak directly with the school Grievance Point of Contact or Principal.

If you need help communicating your concerns at the school level, you can file a grievance using one of the methods below:

  1. Complete the Online Referral Form
  2. Send your concern via email to [email protected]
  3. Call us directly at (202) 442-5405


Section 504 Program Specialist
Office of Student Wellness
District of Columbia Public Schools
1200 First St, NE, 11th Floor
Washington, DC 20002
(202) 442-5405
[email protected]

Title IX and Civil Rights Manager
Compliance and Policy Division
District of Columbia Public Schools
1200 First St, NE, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20002
(202) 442-5405
[email protected]

Students, parents and guardians with concerns may also file a grievance with any of the external agencies listed below:

DC Office of Human Rights
441 4th Street, NW, Suite 570N
Washington, DC  20001
(202) 727-4559


Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
US Department of Education
Office for Civil Rights
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202
Telephone: 1-800-421-3481
TDD: 877-521-2172
Fax: (202) 245-6840
Email: [email protected]