The DC Public Schools’ Urban Education Leaders Internship Program (UELIP) is an opportunity to experience the unique and exciting work of managing an urban school district. This opportunity is open to both undergraduate, graduate students and recent graduates.
UELIP Associates have the opportunity to participate in mission-critical projects for DCPS and to be on the front lines to see the positive changes to close the achievement gap being implemented in urban education.
Associates are expected to contribute between 15-20 hours per week.
Who We Are
DC Public Schools’ Urban Education Leaders Internship Program (UELIP) is designed to provide top students and recent graduates with the opportunity to learn about and contribute to the unique and exciting work of managing an urban school district.
The fellowship takes place in the Central Office of DC Public Schools (DCPS), one of the most innovative public school districts in the United States. UELIP Associates have the opportunity to participate in mission-critical projects for DCPS and support closing the achievement gap from the front lines of the district central office.
What We Do
UELIP isn’t your average internship. UELIP Associates participate in mission-critical projects that aim to close the achievement gap in urban education. DCPS depends on UELIP Associates for innovative, out-of-the-box solutions to systemic urban education challenges. They form an important part of the team(s) they work with and are treated as colleagues and equals.
To learn more, check out our UELIP Blog.
We recruit, develop, and engage emerging leaders in mission-critical work to ensure all students in DC Public Schools receive a world-class education.
Through hands-on projects and collaborative efforts, Associates work with urgency to make real impact on student achievement. We are also cognizant of our part in the school district at large. Like our colleagues who work year-round in the Central Office, we keep our eyes on the prize: student achievement. We know that every project ultimately affects our students. As a result, we are constantly striving to perform our best.
DC Public Schools Central Office is a fast-paced environment and we are looking for UELIP Associates who are goal-oriented, hard-working, multi-tasking individuals and embody the following core values.
- Innovation: We think and act in ways that are not inhibited by the usual or typical. We value risk-taking, be it with new approaches or proven approaches applied in new ways.
- Possibility: We believe that the opportunity gap in DC Public Schools can be closed and that we have the ability, power, and passion to effect that change.
- Initiative: We take ownership of our work and operate proactively.
- Adaptability: We recognize that this work demands flexibility. We are dedicated to achieving our goals in the face of the unexpected. We meet challenges with resilience and the commitment to find new solutions.
- Collaboration: We work together to achieve our goals and know that a diversity of ideas, experiences, and backgrounds will result in stronger teams and more effective strategies and solutions.