The Urban Education Leaders Internship Program (UELIP) through DC Public Schools is an opportunity to experience the unique and exciting work of managing an urban school district. UELIP Associates work at the district level on projects critical to DCPS’s mission and make a real, lasting impact for schools across the district.
UELIP isn’t your average internship. Working with a team of professionals in the Central Office of DC Public Schools, UELIP Associates gain hands-on experience and create positive change in one of the most innovative school districts in the United States. DCPS depends on UELIP Associates for innovative, out-of-the-box solutions to systemic urban education challenges. They form an important part of the team(s) they work with and are treated as colleagues and equals.
Who Should Apply?
This opportunity is open to undergraduate, graduate, and recently graduated students. For more information or to learn how to apply, please see our UELIP Applicants FAQ.
You should consider applying for UELIP if:
- You want to take on real responsibilities in a challenging and supportive environment. The responsibilities given to UELIP Associates are carefully vetted to ensure that you perform purposeful, mission-driven work. UELIP Associates are paired one-to-one with a supervisor who supports you throughout your internship and guides your project(s).
- You aspire to a career involving educational transformation. UELIP Associates, like their full-time DCPS colleagues, are all motivated to do one thing: transform public education. At DCPS, you’ll learn what it takes to turn an urban school district into one of the highest-performing districts in the country. The skills you’ll learn at DCPS can be applied in a variety of ways in your future career, in education or other related industries.
- You are looking for an organized program that invests in its interns. DCPS places great value on the time and effort that UELIP Associates commit to our district and seeks to develop the talent and skills of future education leaders through various professional development opportunities. DCPS provides professional development sessions and networking activities, making time for you to meet other teams and engage in peer-to-peer learning.
DC Public Schools is an ideal work environment for individuals who believe in the following DCPS Values:
- STUDENTS FIRST: We recognize students as whole children and put their needs first in everything we do.
- COURAGE: We have the audacity to learn from our successes and failures, to try new things, and to lead the nation as a proof point of PK-12 success.
- EQUITY: We work proactively to eliminate opportunity gaps by interrupting institutional bias and investing in effective strategies to ensure every student succeeds.
- EXCELLENCE: We work with integrity and hold ourselves accountable for exemplary outcomes, service, and interactions.
- TEAMWORK: We recognize that our greatest asset is our collective vision and ability to work collaboratively and authentically.
- JOY: We enjoy our collective work and will enthusiastically celebrate our success and each other.