The DC Public Schools’ Urban Education Leaders Internship Program (UELIP) is an opportunity to experience the unique and exciting work of managing an urban school district. This opportunity is open to both undergraduate, graduate students and recent graduates.
UELIP Associates have the opportunity to participate in mission-critical projects for DCPS and to be on the front lines to see the positive changes to close the achievement gap being implemented in urban education.
During the fall and spring cohorts, Associates are expected to contribute a minimum of 15 hours per week. The summer cohort is full-time and requires a minimum of 40 hours/week.
If you are a law student looking to intern with DC Public Schools, please visit our UELIP Law page.
Who We Are
DC Public Schools’ Urban Education Leaders Internship Program (UELIP) is designed to provide top students and recent graduates with the opportunity to learn about and contribute to the unique and exciting work of managing an urban school district.
The fellowship takes place in the Central Office of DC Public Schools (DCPS), one of the most innovative public school districts in the United States. UELIP Associates have the opportunity to participate in mission-critical projects for DCPS and support the closing the achievement gap from the front lines of the district central office.
The UELIP program accepts applicants for fall, spring, and summer terms. We welcome applications from undergraduate students, graduate students, and recent graduates. Teachers and other education professionals are also invited to apply.
What We Do
UELIP isn’t your average internship. Associates are tasked with real responsibilities and make meaningful contributions to critical DCPS priorities by working on a variety of projects throughout the Central Office. Associates also have the opportunity to work on UELIP committees that contribute toward projects that meet cross-departmental needs at DCPS. Past committees have included innovation teams, strategy, social and recruitment.
To learn more, check out our UELIP Blog.
We recruit, develop, and engage emerging leaders in mission-critical work to ensure all students in DC Public Schools receive a world-class education.
Through hands-on projects and collaborative efforts, Associates work with urgency to make real impact on student achievement. We are also cognizant of our part in the school district at large. Like our colleagues who work year-round in the Central Office, we keep our eyes on the prize: student achievement. We know that every project ultimately affects our students. As a result, we are constantly striving to perform our best.
DC Public Schools Central Office is a fast-paced environment and we are looking for UELIP Associates who are goal-oriented, hard-working, multi-tasking individuals and embody the following core values.
- Innovation: We think and act in ways that are not inhibited by the usual or typical. We value risk-taking, be it with new approaches or proven approaches applied in new ways.
- Possibility: We believe that the opportunity gap in DC Public Schools can be closed and that we have the ability, power, and passion to effect that change.
- Initiative: We take ownership of our work and operate proactively.
- Adaptability: We recognize that this work demands flexibility. We are dedicated to achieving our goals in the face of the unexpected. We meet challenges with resilience and the commitment to find new solutions.
- Collaboration: We work together to achieve our goals and know that a diversity of ideas, experiences, and backgrounds will result in stronger teams and more effective strategies and solutions.