DCPS is planning for Summer 2023!
All non-DCPS providers, including School Program Providers and other DC government agencies, seeking to independently operate 2023 summer programming in a DCPS facility must follow the process below.
In order to use a DCPS facility, all non-DCPS providers must submit a DCPS Application to Use Facilities, signed by the principal, to the Department of General Services (DGS) Realty Office for processing by April 14, 2023 for Summer 2023. See below (under Step #4) for the list of additional documents DGS will request after receiving the application.
- No Summer 2023 Application to Use Facilities for a DCPS school will be accepted after the April 14, 2023 deadline.
- All non-DCPS program providers operating in DCPS facilities over the summer must be registered as School Program Providers with the DCPS Central Office.
- Programs operating in DCPS over the summer must begin no earlier than July 3, 2023 and conclude no later than August 4, 2023.
- To help plan your DCPS facilities search, review a list of offline and DCPS-run summer program sites for Summer 2023.
DCPS Summer Facilities Use Process for Non-DCPS Program Providers
1. Register with DCPS
All organizations must register with the DCPS Central Office as a School Program Provider in order to operate in DCPS facilities. Begin the registration process.
School Program Providers are defined as organizations that:
- Provide their own programming to DCPS students
- Work with students 3 or more times per school year, AND
- Are NOT a Health or Mental Health Provider
2. Identify a school
Identify a school in which you would like to operate your program. We strongly encourage non-DCPS Program Providers to select schools in which DCPS is already holding summer programming to reduce costs for your organization (see more under “Fees” in Step #4). Please confirm with the principal that the necessary space for your program is available. Priority will be given to DCPS-run summer programming.
3. Get approval from the principal
Once you have identified a potential school in which to operate your program, contact the school’s principal for permission to use the facility over the summer. Be sure to:
- Show your registration confirmation letter to indicate that your organization has registered with the DCPS Central Office as a School Program Provider to operate in DCPS facilities (see Step #1 for information); and
- Get the principal’s signature on a Department of General Services (DGS) Application to Use Facilities. No programs may use a DCPS facility without submitting this signed form to DGS ([email protected]) by April 14, 2023 and receiving DGS approval.
Use of the school facility is at the discretion of the principal. To allow for the necessary time to coordinate support services (free meals, security, custodial support etc.), PRINCIPALS HAVE BEEN INSTRUCTED NOT TO SIGN APPLICATIONS FOR FACILITIES USE AFTER April 14, 2023.
4. Send required Application to Use Facilities to the Department of General Services (DGS) Realty Office by April 14, 2023
Application to Use Facilities signed by the school principal must be submitted to [email protected] by April 14, 2023. Please note that once accepted, DGS may request the following additional documents:
- School Program Provider registration confirmation letter from the DCPS Central Office
- Certificate of Insurance with DC Government listed as the Certificate Holder
Fees: The DC Dept. of General Services (DGS) Realty Office may assign rental, custodial overtime, and/or security fees for non-DCPS providers to use DCPS facilities. In order to ensure the safety of students in DCPS buildings, key supports such as security, custodial staff and/or supplies must be in place. Therefore, when non-DCPS entities request to use DCPS facilities they may incur fees for security, custodial overtime and/or resources*. For more information regarding DCPS facility use fees, please visit our Use of Facilities and Grounds page.
*Non-DCPS Program Providers must pay for security if:
- They host a program in a school that is not holding DCPS-run summer programming; or
- They host a program in a school with DCPS-run summer programming, but they begin before 8:00am or end after 4:00pm.
5. Request food (applicable only for programs seeking to access the DC Free Summer Meals Program)
Organizations seeking to access the DC Free Summer Meals Program at their school site must request food services via the Summer 2023 Food Service Request Form by May 5, 2023 in order to provide time for meal coordination. Questions? Contact [email protected] or Robyn Douglas Scholar at [email protected].
6. Have a great summer!