(Washington, DC) – Tonight, Mayor Muriel Bowser announced that on Thursday, December 15, DC Public Schools (DCPS) will open on a two-hour delay. DC Government will open on time.
The District’s Hypothermia Alert remains activated. Residents are encouraged to call 311 or (202) 399-7093 if they see someone in need of shelter.
Winter Weather Tips
- Check your supply of abrasives – deicer, rock salt or non-clumping kitty litter – and get more if necessary. The District has used pet-friendly deicer on its pedestrian bridges for several years and found it to melt ice effectively and be easy on pets’ paws.
- Have enough over-the-counter and prescription medications for your family and pet(s).
- Make sure your gutters are cleared of leaves. You don’t want leaves to block the flow of rainwater that may freeze.
- Turn off all outdoor water faucets.
- Keep your vehicle’s fluids tanks – gas, water, antifreeze and windshield wiper – full.
- Have a flashlight, blankets, and scrapers in your vehicle before a storm begins.
- Find your snow shovel and make sure it is adequate for another snow season.
The District Snow Team will continue to monitor the weather forecast and adjust its response as necessary. For more information about DC’s snow program and preparing for winter weather, visit snow.dc.gov.