Text Resize

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Teacher Certification and Licensing

Below is a list of frequently asked questions about teacher certification.

Is this the official DCPS application site for teachers, librarians, and service providers?

Yes, this is the official site for all DCPS educator positions. If you are looking for alternative routes to teaching such as Teach For America, please visit their website.

Do I need to have a license to apply to teach in DCPS?

Given the licensure challenges that prospective applicants are facing due to COVID-related closures and cancellations, OSSE has agreed to waive all licensure requirements for new hires entering the 2020-21 school year. Incoming hires will not be required to hold an active OSSE license nor provide proof of licensure eligibility to receive an offer letter. However, all staff members in positions requiring a license must be licensed by March 1, 2021, or they will be terminated effective the end of SY 20-21.

For updates regarding our 2020-21 licensure requirements and new minimum eligibility criteria, please follow this page.

How do I obtain a teaching license in Washington DC?

The Educator Credential Information System (ECIS) is an electronic educator licensure application portal designed in an effort to provide those seeking authorization to serve as a teacher, administrator or school service provider with a user-friendly, web-based format for submitting applications for a DC credential.

I have a teaching license from another state. Do I still need to apply for a DC license?

Yes, if you currently hold a license from another state, you will have to obtain a DC license to teach for DCPS and can do so through Reciprocity.

Even though testing requirements have been temporarily lifted, all candidates should still be working toward securing their teaching credential through OSSE.

Can I renew an expired teacher credential?

Standard level teacher and administrative services credentials may be renewed in accordance with the renewal options listed at this website. Additionally, existing “Regular II” credential holders with credentials that are due to expire in upcoming months may apply for renewal and be issued the new “standard” level credential based upon the renewal options listed below. Initial teacher and administrative services credentials may not be renewed.

I do not have a degree in education. Can I still apply?

Yes, but you must at least have your bachelor's degree and meet the minimum eligibility criteria. Candidates who meet the minimum eligibility criteria can advance through the teacher application. Even though testing requirements have been temporarily lifted, all candidates should still be working toward securing their teaching credential through OSSE.

Get more information on the required educator credential exams.[PDF]

I currently have an international license. Does DCPS sponsor international teachers?

Currently, DCPS does not sponsor teachers with work visas. However, individual schools are free to sponsor H1B Visas. Candidates may inquire about this directly with School Leaders.

Do I need a license to be a substitute teacher?

As of March 2016, the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) will no longer issue substitute teacher licenses. In order to be considered for the position, candidates must hold a valid bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Candidates must submit official transcripts if selected for the substitute teacher position. Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by an accredited credential evaluation agency. For more information on the substitute teacher position, please visit dcps.dc.gov/page/substitute or email [email protected].