How do I apply for Central Office positions at DC Public Schools?
For current central office opportunities, please visit our Central Office opportunities page.
To apply for a position, you must complete the online application, selecting the appropriate position for which you are applying.
Please do not fax in your applications, as we do not accept hard copy applications. Please note that any application without a tailored cover letter will not be considered.
If you are interested in teaching or other school-based positions, please visit the Teach In Our Schools page.
If you are interested in school leadership positions, please visit the Lead Our Schools page.
What is the application process for central office positions at DC Public Schools?
Please visit Central Office Opportunities for current vacancies at DCPS. All Central Office applications that are submitted are reviewed and forwarded to the appropriate hiring manager.
Once the hiring manager makes a decision regarding who to bring in for interviews, the selected candidate(s) will be notified directly by the hiring manager.
If you have not been invited to an interview by a hiring manager, you have not been moved forward in the process.
Please note that due to the volume of applicants, we are unable to provide individual updates to candidates about their status. Please do not call DC Public Schools to inquire about your status, as applicants are only contacted if they are chosen for an interview.
What is the timeline of the central office application process?
Each application process differs, depending on the position, department needs, and the hiring manager.
Once your resume is received, it can take between 1 to 3 weeks for the appropriate parties to review your resume.
The entire hiring process can take anywhere from 4 weeks to up to 10 weeks.
Where do I apply for Food and Nutrition Services positions?
Food Service Worker positions are managed by three separate hiring managers based on Food Service Vendor. Please contact the below Food Service Hiring Managers for openings in our schools.
DCPS Self Operation
1200 First Street NE
Washington, DC 20002
Please do not submit applications to DC Public Schools for Food Service Worker Positions.
Where do I apply for Bus Attendant and/or Bus Driver positions?
To apply for a position through the Division of Transportation, please visit dc.gov or call (202) 724-8600.
Where do I apply to be a Paraprofessional or Educational Aide?
In order to work as a Paraprofessional or Educational Aide, you must first determine if you are “Highly Qualified” in accordance with No Child Left Behind. To be “Highly Qualified,” you must be able to show that you have completed high school or its equivalent and possess one of the following:
- An Associate’s Degree or higher from an accredited college/university
- Completion of 48 credit hours of study from an accredited college/university
- Possession of a high school diploma and a passing score of 461 on the ETS ParaPro Assessment examination.
- Once you have determined that you are highly qualified, you may apply for these positions at Teach DC. Applicants who are not highly qualified will not be considered for positions.
How do I apply to be a substitute teacher?
DCPS accepts substitute teaching applications from July through March of each year. Substitute teachers must hold a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university and must obtain a Substitute Teacher license through the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE). Information regarding the substitute license may be found at here.
What kinds of candidates are successful DCPS central office applicants?
DC Public Schools is looking for talented, highly motivated professionals who are:
- Results-oriented, entrepreneurial, hands-on "do-ers"
- Data-savvy and tech-savvy, with demonstrated, data-driven results from previous experiences
- Successful in navigating extremely ambiguous and constantly changing situations
- Committed to the mission of DCPS and demonstrates that commitment in their application materials
How can I become a better candidate for positions with DC Public Schools?
- DO indicate specifically which position you are applying for in your application. We have multiple positions open with very similar titles. Please be sure that you are identifying the specific position for which you are applying.
- DO include a cover letter for each position you are applying to with DC Public Schools. Your cover letter should demonstrate an understanding of both DCPS and the position to which you are applying. Your application will not be considered complete without a cover letter.
- DO tailor both your resume and cover letter specifically for the position and for DC Public Schools.
- DO proofread your application materials before you submit them. Applicants with typos and grammatical errors will not be considered.
- DO include quantifiable results in your resume. We want to see what you have accomplished in your previous experiences – not simply a listing of your responsibilities and duties.
- DON’T apply to more than three DCPS positions at once. Though we have a variety of different positions open, it is highly unlikely that you are the right fit for numerous positions within DCPS. Please consider carefully the positions that may present the best fit for you, and selectively apply to those positions.
- DON’T apply to positions for which you are not qualified. Please read each job description carefully, paying close attention to the minimum qualifications for the position. Some of our positions require graduate degrees, licenses and/or specific relevant experience. If you do not meet the minimum qualifications, your application will not be considered.
- DON’T send in your application via fax or mail. We do not accept hard copies of applications. All applications should be submitted to us via the online application.
The job I am interested in is no longer posted on the web site. Can I still apply?
If a job announcement is no longer posted on our site, that means the position has been filled and/or we are not accepting any more applications for that particular position.