The Excellence in Teaching Awards recognize the outstanding achievement and dedication of seven DCPS teachers with a $10,000 award. Winners are nominated by DCPS educators, students, parents, and community members, and then selected by a central office panel. Eligible teachers must earn a rating of Highly Effective under IMPACT.
Excellence in Teaching Award winners are recognized at the annual Standing Ovation for DC Teachers, hosted by DC Public Education Fund and held at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
2013 Excellence in Teaching Award Winners
- Kathy Hollowell-Makle, Kindergarten Teacher, Simon Elementary School - DCPS Teacher of The Year
- Asonja Dorsey, 1st Grade, Maury Elementary School
- Chenise Richards, 12th Grade English, Coolidge Senior High School
- Davey S. Yarborough, Director of Jazz Studies, Duke Ellington School of the Arts
- Fran McCrackin, 1st Grade, Janney Elementary School
- Hardett Taylor-Brown, Elementary Science Resource Teacher, Cleveland Elementary School
- William A. Taylor, Secondary Mathematics, Wheatley Education Campus