The Excellence in Teaching Awards recognize the outstanding achievement and dedication of seven DCPS teachers with a $10,000 award. Winners are nominated by DCPS educators, students, parents, and community members, and then selected by a central office panel. Eligible teachers must earn a rating of Highly Effective under IMPACT.
Excellence in Teaching Award winners are recognized at the annual Standing Ovation for DC Teachers, hosted by DC Public Education Fund and held at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
2012 Excellence in Teaching Award Winners
- Hope Harrod, Fifth Grade Teacher, Burroughs Education Campus - DCPS Teacher of the Year
- Sarah Bax, Eighth Grade Math Teacher, Hardy Middle School
- Mayra Canizales, Instructional Coach (Previously English Language Arts Teacher), Columbia Heights Education Campus
- Valyncia O. Hawkins, Fifth Grade Teacher, Anne Beers Elementary School
- Kristin Schrauth, Preschool Teacher, Francis-Stevens Education Campus
- Brian Thompson, Tenth Grade World History Teacher, Cardozo High School
- Camille Townsend, Fourth and Fifth Grade Teacher, Ketcham Elementary School