All current and prospective DCPS employees, program partners, contractors, student teachers, interns, and volunteers must complete a criminal background check before providing services to any DCPS student, school, or office.
Please review the guidance below to complete this mandatory process. Please note, there is no cost associated with obtaining a background check.
Current DCPS Clearance Process
The first step for all individuals seeking DCPS Clearance is to complete the DCPS Clearance Application. Failure to submit this application will prevent the DCPS Clearance team from processing fingerprinting results or issuing clearance compliance.
Confirm a placement. If you do not have a placement, please use the school profiles to reach out to a local school to discuss your interest in volunteering. If you would like to volunteer with an established partner, view the list of programs vetted by the Office of Out-of-School Time Programs.
Complete the DCPS Clearance Application.
Complete the TB Risk Assessment Screening, embedded in the DCPS Clearance Application. If directed, based on the results of your TB Risk Assessment Screening, provide negative skin or blood tests taken, or a clear x-ray analysis issued, within the last 12 months. to the DCPS Clearance team at [email protected].
Suitability One-Pagers for Volunteers and Contractors
- Currently being revised (as of 6/10/2022)
Student Teacher Clearance
- Confirm a placement. The student teacher placement process is managed between your university program and the school directly, as Employee Services does not have a placement process or mandate for student teachers. We encourage you to use the school directory, available on our main website, to reach out to particular schools that you would like to host you as student teacher. You can view the school directory here.
- Complete the DCPS Clearance Application.
- Complete the TB Risk Assessment Screening, embedded in the DCPS Clearance Application. If directed, based on the results of your TB Risk Assessment Screening, provide negative skin or blood tests taken, or a clear x-ray analysis issued, within the last 12 months. to the DCPS Clearance team at [email protected].
If you are an employee, program partner, contractor, student teacher, or intern, you are required to have an ID badge. The ID badge office (DCPS Central Office, 1200 First Street, NE) is currently open Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Once you have met all clearance requirements, please stop by the ID badge office during business hours.
Volunteers are not required to have an ID badge.
Applicant Privacy Act Notices
- FBI Privacy Act Statement[PDF]
- Noncriminal Justice Applicant’s Privacy Rights[PDF]
- OPM Privacy Act Notice[PDF]