DCPS is planning for Summer 2020!
All non-DCPS providers, including community based organizations (CBOs) and other DC government agencies, seeking to operate 2020 summer programming in a DCPS facility must follow the process below.
- In order to use a DCPS facility, all non-DCPS providers must submit a Facility Use Application (FUA), signed by the principal, to the Department of General Services (DGS) Realty Office for processing by APRIL 1, 2020 for summer 2020. See below for the list of additional documents DGS will request after receiving the FUA.
- Note—No summer 2020 Facility Use Applications for a DCPS school will be accepted after the April 19, 2019 deadline.
- All non-DCPS provider programs operating in DCPS facilities over the summer must be vetted and approved as School Program Providers by the DCPS Central Office.
- Programs operating in DC Public Schools over the summer must begin no earlier than June 24, 2020 conclude no later than July 31, 2020.
DCPS Summer Facilities Use Process for Non-DCPS Program Providers
1. Identify a school
Identify a school in which you would like to operate your program. We recommend identifying more than one potential site as some schools may be unavailable.
To help you plan your search, please review this list of schools that may have availability over summer 2020.[PDF]
2. Get approval from the principal
Once you have identified a potential school in which to operate your program, contact the school to ask the principal for permission to use the facility over the summer. Be sure to:
- Show your registration confirmation letter (or vetting approval letter to indicate that your organization has been approved by the DCPS central office to operate in DCPS facilities; and
- Get the principal’s signature on a Department of General Services (DGS) Facility Use Application; no programs may use a DCPS facility without submitting this signed form to DGS by April 1, 2020 and receiving DGS approval.
Use of the school facility is at the discretion of the principal. To allow for the necessary time to coordinate support services (free meals, security, custodial support etc.),
PRINCIPALS HAVE BEEN INSTRUCTED NOT TO SIGN APPLICATIONS FOR FACILITIES USE AFTER APRIL 1, 2020.
3. Send required Facility Use Application (FUA) to the Department of General Services (DGS) Realty Office by April 1, 2020
A Facility Use Application (FUA) signed by the school principal must be submitted to [email protected] by April 1, 2020. Please note that once accepted, DGS may request the following additional documents:
- Registration confirmation (or vetting approval) from the DCPS Central Office
- Certificate of Insurance with DC Government listed as the Certificate Holder
- Fees: The DC Dept. of General Services (DGS) Reality Office may assign rental and/or security fees for non-DCPS providers to use DCPS facilities. In order to ensure the safety of students in DCPS buildings, key supports such as security, custodial staff and/or supplies must be in place. Therefore, when non-DCPS entities request to use DCPS facilities they should expect to incur fees for security, custodial support and/or resources. The DGS Realty Office will assess and share any applicable fees.
For more information regarding DCPS facility use fees, please visit our Use of Facilities and Grounds page.
4. Request food (applicable only for programs seeking to access the DC Free Summer Meals Program)
Organizations seeking to access the DC Free Summer Meals Program at their school site must request food services via the Summer Food Service Request Form by May 4, 2020 in order to provide time for meal coordination. Questions? Contact Shaun Sako at [email protected].
5. Have a great summer!
Questions about the process outlined above?
- Summer program providers should contact [email protected].dc.gov, Manager, Partner Engagement.
- DCPS schools should contact their assigned School Operations Specialist in the Office of the Chief Operating Officer.