In an effort to broaden access to reading for students, DC Public Schools (DCPS) Chancellor Kaya Henderson today announced a task force to better support school libraries. The DCPS Library Task Force will make recommendations for consideration and possible implementation in the 2013-2014 school year. The task force’s first meeting was this week.
“We know how absolutely fundamental reading is to our students’ success,” said Henderson. “School libraries can be a critical resource, one that we can better utilize to support the goals we’ve set in A Capital Commitment and other core academic work. We’ll look to this task force to identify where we can make school library improvements across the District.”
Specifically, the task force will be asked to evaluate the current status of school libraries and library programs, including staffing levels, instruction provided and collections; evaluate the best practices for library instruction and programming; determine the basics of a quality school library system; develop recommendations to improve the quality of school libraries and library programs; and recommend any voluntary/community-based strategies designed to increase and improve school libraries, library programs and collection development.
There are 18 members on the task force, selected and appointed by the Chancellor. Their work is expected to be completed and submitted to the Chancellor by mid-December. Barbara Stripling, Ph.D. and Carey Wright, Ph.D. serve as co-chairs. Other members include DCPS principals, instructional superintendents, teachers, library media specialists, parents and community members. The full list of members includes:
- Pete Cahall, Principal, Wilson HS
- Karen Cowden, Library Media Specialist, Hyde-Addison ES
- Sirraya Gant, Parent, Woodson HS
- Errick Greene, DCPS Instructional Superintendent
- Angie Halamandaris, President and co-founder, Heart of America Foundation
- Clarence Humes, Principal, Sousa MS
- Melissa Jackson, Library Media Specialist, Ballou HS
- Eva Poole, Chief of Staff, DC Public Library
- Sharona Robinson, Parent and PTSA President, Ballou HS
- David Rose, DCPS Director, Education Technology
- Tracy Sheard-Wilson, Library Media Specialist, J.O. Wilson ES
- Barbara Stripling, Assistant Professor of Practice, Syracuse University and?
- President-elect, American Library Association
- GeLynn Thompson, Teacher, Randle Highlands ES
- Gayle Watts, Teacher, Burroughs EC
- Ann Weeks, Associate Dean, Academic Programs, University of MD College of Information Studies
- Suzanne Wells, Parent and Founder, Capitol Hill Public Schools Parents Organization
- Carey Wright, DCPS Chief Academic Officer
- Stephen Zagami, DCPS Instructional Superintendent
Contact: Melissa Salmanowitz | 202-535-1096