(WASHINGTON, DC) — DC Public Schools (DCPS) is honored to announce the twenty-three teachers, school staff, school leaders, central services employees, and school communities who are being recognized by the DC Public Education Fund for their incredible achievements in service of the District’s families. The Standing Ovation Awards will be presented on October 27, 2022.
“Standing Ovation recognizes the incredible school and central services staff of DCPS, and the work they do each and every day in service to our students, family, and school communities,” said Chancellor Lewis Ferebee. “These schools and individuals we are celebrating are representative of the high bar for excellence we set across the district.”
This year’s theme, “Together, We Can” is a testament to the DCPS community’s resiliency. As DCPS students returned to the classroom last school year, teachers, school staff, school leaders, central services employees and school communities came together during an unprecedented time, as we grappled with the pandemic, and rose to the occasion to provide a joyful learning environment.
The honorees are as follows:
Award for Schools: Build bridges to our students and families
- Bancroft ES
- Hyde-Addison ES
- Jefferson MS
Award for Teachers: Educate students for success in a changing world
- Elleni Abebe, Social Studies Teacher, Roosevelt HS
- Perrinh Savang, Teacher, Janney ES
- Angela Isom, ELA Teacher, King ES
- Tia Clemmons, PE Teacher, Jackson-Reed HS
- Andrew Green, Music Teacher, Phelps ACE HS
Award for School Staff: Support students for success in a changing world
- Kira Rowe, Counselor, Coolidge HS
- Malcolm Rivers, Pathway Coordinator, Ballou STAY
- Melissa Sweeney, Social Worker, Anacostia HS
- Marlen Giles, Instructional Coach, Eliot-Hine MS
- Rodney McDaniel, Custodial Foreman, Powell ES
Award for School Leaders: Lead the way for innovation in our schools
- Alethea Bustillo, Principal, Bruce-Monroe ES
- William Haith, Principal, Anacostia HS
- Tyra Russell, Assistant Principal, Savoy ES
- Anna Katt, Assistant Principal, Hendley ES
- Charlette Butler-Strickland, Principal, Hart MS
Award for Central Office Employees: Elevate supports for schools
- Baylen Brooks, Specialist, School Operations, Office of the Chief Operating Officer
- Kevin Washburn, Director, DCPS Library Programs, Office of Teaching and Learning
- Nathalie Navarrete, Manager, Educator Pipelines & Credentialing, Office of Leadership Development
- Sonya Soloway, Manager, Design and Innovation, OSIS
- Tamesha Freeman, Speech Language Pathologist, OTL/Division of Specialized Instruction
Since 2010, Standing Ovation has brought together thousands of DC’s business leaders, philanthropic champions, education partners, and civic leaders to honor the achievements of DCPS’ top teachers, leaders, and school communities.
Thanks to the DC Public Education Fund’s philanthropic endeavors and support of DC Public Schools, teachers, staff, school leaders, school communities and central services employees will receive a generous monetary award for their everyday support of our student’s education needs.
For more information, visit dcedfund.org/initiative/standing-ovation.