DCPS Parent University is a workshop series for families facilitated by the Communications and Engagement Office. Each session is designed to help families play their important role in supporting student learning and growth. The workshops are an opportunity for families to share strategies and learn new ones from each other and DCPS Central Office teams. At the end of each session, families should walk away with answers to the following questions:
- What role do I play in my child’s education?
- What are other families doing?
- What specific actions can I take to support my child?
- Where can I find more information?
Parent University has four main goals:
- To build families’ capacity in supporting their children’s academic outcomes in the following ways:
- Communicating high expectations
- Monitoring their child’s performance
- Supporting learning at home
- Guiding their child’s education
- Advocating for their child
- To build trust between families and DCPS
- To increase access to information so that parents can make the most informed decisions
- To increase Central Office transparency