The District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS) envisions a world where every student feels loved, challenged, and prepared to positively influence society and thrive in life. Our mission is to ensure that all schools guarantee students reach their full potential through rigorous and joyful learning experiences provided in a nurturing environment. DCPS is proud to prioritize building relationships with families, community members, and strategic partners to accelerate achievement for all DCPS students as we strive to become a district of both excellence and equity – and a place where every family feels welcome, and every child is given the opportunities and support they need to thrive.
In support of this mission, DCPS works to promote safe and positive school environments for all students and staff. The purpose of this document is to establish conduct expectations for all parents, guardians, volunteers, and other visitors to DCPS schools. These expectations apply to all individuals while on school property and at DCPS events. The document:
- Encourages scheduling appointments in advance
- Creates shared norms related to problem-solving
- Lists prohibited behaviors and consequences:
- School leaders may ask individuals to leave the school grounds immediately
- Schools may also seek to bar individuals from DCPS campuses and events through the procedures in the School Barring Notice Procedures
- School leaders may request to temporarily restrict building access for all visitors to a building after a serious incident that compromises the safety and security of students and staff or disrupts school instruction, operation, or activities. Provides an optional Parent Acknowledgement form for school leaders to use if they think if will support their school community. For SY24-25 and beyond the acknowledgment will be included in online enrollment materials.
Links to related policies: