DC Public Schools
-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)

  1. What is Dual Enrollment?
    Dual Enrollment offers students the opportunity to take a class at a local college (American: School of Education, Catholic University, Georgetown University, George Washington University, Howard University, UDC Flagship, and UDC-CC) in addition to their normal high school classes.
  2. How much does Dual Enrollment cost?
    Tuition and registration fees are fully covered. Special course fees (e.g. art course materials fee) are covered by the student. Textbook support varies annually.
  3. What are the advantages of Dual Enrollment?
    Dual Enrollment offers students the opportunity to maintain their high school status while enrolling part-time at participating local universities. Additional benefits may include:
    • Helps students build confidence in completing college-level coursework
    • Enables student to start college with a well-established GPA
    • Enhances high level thinking skills, which help students throughout college
    • Lowers the overall costs of college
  4. Who can participate in Dual Enrollment?
    There are Dual Enrollment options available to all DCPS high school students.  See the chart below for eligibility criteria:

    Please note: The grade indicates when students are permitted to take classes at the University. 
    University Eligible High Schools Participating Grade Level Min GPA
    American University: 
    School of Education
    All DCPS High Schools 12th only 3.0
    Catholic University All DCPS High Schools 12th only 3.0
    Georgetown University All DCPS High Schools 12th only 3.0
    George Washington University Anacostia, CHEC, Coolidge, Duke Ellington, Eastern, Luke C. Moore, Phelps, Washington Met, Wilson, and Woodson 12th only 3.0
    George Washington University - SWW School Without Walls See SWW Counseling See SWW Counseling
    Howard University Ballou, Ballou Stay, Banneker, Cardozo, Dunbar, McKinley Tech, Ron Brown, Roosevelt, & Roosevelt Stay 11th & 12th 3.0
    UDC Flagship All DCPS High Schools 10th & 12th 3.0 (11-12)
    3.3 (10)
    UDC-CC All DCPS High Schools 10th - 12th No min

  5. How do I apply for Dual Enrollment?
    See your high school counselor to ensure you meet the eligibility criteria and have room in your schedule to participate in Dual Enrollment. After meeting with your counselor, you can access the instructions and applications on the DCPS Dual Enrollment page. Students applying to UDC Flagship, apply through the Office of the State Superintendent of Education application portal (OSSE), and students applying to the UDC-CC, apply through the UDC-CC application portal. Visit the DCPS Dual Enrollment home page for more information about both of these programs.
  6. If my child has an IEP, will they receive the same accommodations and supports as they receive in high school?
    The Early College & Dual Enrollment Specialist will assist students, who self-identify with a disability, and are receiving services through either an IEP or 504 plan, with connection to Academic Support Service offices at each participating university. If you would like additional information on DCPS supports for students with disabilities, please reach out to d’[email protected].

  7. Who selects Dual Enrollment participants?

    Each university sets their own requirements for admissions and makes all admissions decisions independent of DCPS. DCPS acts as the intermediary and helps to facilitate the application process.

  8. Do I get high school credit for Dual Enrollment classes?

    Select courses at George Washington, Howard, and UDC-CC have been pre-approved for dual credit. Students must receive approval from their parent/guardian, school, and Central Office, prior to the start of the semester they plan to enroll. When taking a college course for dual credit, students and families understand that grades earned will be reported on the official DCPS high school transcript, and credit will only be awarded for approved courses which are completed and passed with a grade of C or better. This grade will be calculated with the weight of an AP course as a part of each student’s GPA. If you are interested in receiving high school credit, please review the dual credit class list, and meet with your counselor, prior to the beginning of the semester, to submit the Dual Credit Approval Form[PDF].

  9. Will Dual Enrollment classes transfer to other colleges and universities?

    Each college/university sets policies on credit transferability. While we encourage Dual Enrollment partner institutions to enroll students in highly transferrable courses, we cannot ensure credit transferability. We advise that you consult the school(s) you are planning to attend after high school graduation to be sure.

  10. When do Dual Enrollment classes take place?
    Most Dual Enrollment classes are offered after 3 pm during the fall and spring semesters. Some universities offer classes during the school day, on Saturdays, and during the summer. Students accepted into all programs, except UDC-CC, are eligible to take a class during the fall and spring semester (contingent on grades), but they are not required to. UDC-CC students apply directly for the semester during which they would like to take a class. Students should meet with their high school counselors to determine when they can schedule university classes. 

  11. What courses can Dual Enrollment students take?
    Students work with the Dual Enrollment coordinator at their university to find an available class that best meets their schedule and interests. Dual Enrollment students are generally limited to available entry level courses.

  12. How many courses can Dual Enrollment students take?
    Most students can enroll in one (1) course during the fall semester and one (1) course in the spring (upon successful completion of the fall course).  This also varies slightly by university.  UDC-CC students must re-apply every semester.

  13. What is the IRS Form 1098-T?
    The Form 1098-T is a statement that colleges and universities are required to issue to certain students. It provides the total dollar amount billed to your student account for what is referred to as qualified tuition and related expenses (or “QTRE”) in a single tax year. Box: 1 shows what you paid, which should say $0 and Box: 2 shows what the University billed.

Questions: Contact D'Shaun Vance (DCPS Specialist, for Early College & Dual Enrollment Programs) Email: d’[email protected], Phone: (202) 535-1636